Tuesday, February 10

A vexing 48 hours

At long last, the surely much awaited culmination of my latest project, which involved a 24-hour Flash marathon and one all-nighter: Screw science. The real reason we're going to Mars is plain American baseball...

After finishing this I did sleep like the dead for eight hours. Having been 9:30 when I went to bed (sad, I know), I got up before the sun and spent the following six hours cramming for the 75-minute midterm that still ended up reaming me. This was the first exam here where I actually left questions blank. It felt really bad. All this despite the TA's claim that the midterm questions would all be "easier than the homework". Between this class and CS 242 last quarter I'm starting to develop a very cynical distrust of most everything TAs say.

Also this morning, I had the shortest job interview ever. (Given how little time I had to prepare for the midterm, I was uber-grateful, but still.) This guy from Oracle had e-mailed me a week ago offering a phone interview specifically today. I e-mailed him back and pled for another day (like tomorrow, when I have no class), but no dice. The recruiter called my room last Tuesday, while I was frantically finishing a problem set, and I made the mistake of answering my landline, blowing my cover story that I'm not around Tuesdays. The guy forced me to admit that yes, I am technically in my room for an hour-long window on Tuesdays and told me to be there.

To be continued...

No comments: