Wednesday, October 15

The simple truth of college life: procrastination = blogging

I got back to my room 40 minutes ago with a simple goal: take a 10-minute nap, then finish the CS 221 problem set. As you've probably guessed by now, the nap became 20 minutes, and I'm still not motivated to finish the pset. Maybe blogging will get my creativity going... then again, maybe it'll lead me into a spiral of distraction for another hour until I realize that I still have a pset due in 12 hours...

It was an emotional moment today at 4:57 PM as a whole bunch of us from CS 242 appeared outside what my professor happened to call the Lockbox to turn our problem sets in. It didn't help that the way he said it I just kept thinking of Darrell Hammond and a certain SNL sketch, back from better carefree times. Times when we only joked about electing incompetent leaders with no experience. More importantly, times when SNL was actually good...

The one good thing about job searching is free stuff. Companies are hiring again, and they're willing to splurge for the pizza to boot. So I've found myself among the herds at info sessions for Microsoft, Google, and the like. The format is the same: we all cram into a Gates conference room to listen to casually clad recruiters tell us why we want to join their elite club, then we all mob him or her at the end, striving to give away our resumes and make a good impression on the recruiter in the hopes that he/she will remember our faces a month from now when our painstakingly formatted resumes have been scanned into a database.

But fall recruiting season so far has yielded: two T-shirts, two pens, a yo-yo, a mousepad, post-it notes, a light-up keychain, and...a pocket PC! I rarely win anything, but I did win a nice shiny new Toshiba PDA. Not exactly the sort of thing I'd splurge on with my limited funds (oh do I sound like a grad student already) but always nice to have. So now I can tap away in the middle of lecture, surreptitiously checking my e-mail, or check my calendar like some sort of true Valley geek.

In other mobile news, I've discovered I can log onto AIM on my cell phone. And, sadly, I am guilty of having sent a remarkably lucid message while barreling down Santa Teresa on my bike. Supposedly my icon should change to a little cell phone. But I don't really know if this whole text messaging thing is worth the trouble. But it is cool... something else I can do in those lecture halls without wireless...

No comments: