Friday, January 2

it's a great time in Detroit

Apparently being dubbed the most dangerous and most pedestrian-deadly city, Detroit now can claim another #1: it is now the nation's "fattest" city. Councilwoman Carol Alvarado of former three-time Fat City champion Houston, was pleased. "Congratulations, Detroit," she said.

On a probably unrelated note, I set off the anti-theft alarm at Kroger three times today. (Yes, this town is yuppie enough that grocery stores have anti-theft systems.) But no one really seemed to notice or care. It's just like Wal-Mart. Working at Best Buy for so long has conditioned me to ignore the obnoxious beeping; it seems to be quickly going the way of the car alarm as a well-intentioned but useless security device. Indeed, no one came charging out of the store to make sure I'd paid for the $10 of groceries I was carrying. Next time that happens I resolve to get a panicked look on my face and start running.

No comments: