Wednesday, July 7

the british are attacking!

to the tune of: Words Weren't Made for Cowards by Happy Rhodes

Three day weekends are the American way. Really I don't know why we got Monday off but no complaints from me. It's been a nice relaxing (and looong) weekend.

Saturday began the way Saturday morning ought to: sleeping in till (almost) noon. Then it somehow degenerated into Dave sitting around playing video games. Which was problematic, since we needed to do major shopping that afternoon. Power shopping was derailed when we started drooling over things in Home Depot. I've always had this problem with electronics stores, and Safeway runs have taken forever for as long as I've been in college, but this was the first time this happened to me in a friggin' Home Depot...

Saturday night Dave and I ended up at Cheng's apartment and I got the sneaking suspicion that within three years the apartments of everyone I knew would be entirely furnished by Ikea. And then it happened. What may be the beginning of my downfall: my first game of Halo. I sucked, mind you. But after playing for an hour, I sucked a little less. It's insidious. Like maybe if I play it again I'll be a little better. The promise of improvement is an interesting narcotic. Perhaps it's too late--I've already become hooked on the gateway drug of Mario Kart. But I like to think that so long as I don't get any good at Halo I'll remain safe from the evil powers of the Pyramid o' Procrastination.

Sunday morning started off just as it ought: with crepes and the New York Times crossword, courtesy of Helen's parents. We seemed like such a typical family gathered 'round the table. I made it to two 4th barbecues, and won a $10 gift certificate that expires tomorrow. (Or does it?)

red light at night, sailor's delightThen Ben and I went to SF to meet up with Guy and Helen for the fireworks. As could be expected of SF, there was fog. But that gave the show an eerie surreal feeling, like maybe the British really were firing rockets at the boats in the bay. Or maybe aliens were landing. (More of the seige of the Bay)

We met up with Aria later, and finding Starbucks closed decided to form an impromptu band on the street corner, complete with his guitar and Ben's vocal percussion. No tips, but lots of curiosity about whether the Starbucks was open.

No comments: