Sunday, July 25

events happen in real time

to the tune of: Nice Work If You Can Get It by Ella Fitzgerald

One of the nice things about being trained in the art of sleep deprivation, better known by its euphemism computer science, is that you can do things like stay up till 5 AM watching 24 without even blinking. Need I say that Aria and Guy, both non-CS majors, were the first to crack and want to go to bed. And we were just four short hours away from finishing the first season...

I'm finally starting to get over the intimidation factor of the hustle club. I may not be picking up any women there like certain other men but at least I'm not petrified to dance with non-Stanford people. I'm probably still boring follows out of their minds recycling the same few variations over and over again, but it's still so much fun (for me at least).

Friday night was a scary sight indeed: CS geeks outside, under the sun, getting exercise. Yes, Friday Ultimate is a department tradition, and if you happen by the Oval you can see the hardcore grad students playing. Aria and I lasted a scant half an hour before getting completely exhausted (and hungry).

Saturday Guy, Rose, and I went to Macy's for a clearance sale. I felt so dirty. Shopping. At Macy's. Shopping is evil, but Macy's doubly so. The men's store assaults you with overpriced designer clothes; the women's with way too much pink. The $60,000 of plasma screens lined up to show the same psychedlic screen saver in the entrance just screams bargains ahead. But just for us cheap young folk they put on some Britney Spears music that decidedly didn't mix with the classy decor. I never knew how many tacky shirts they carried--and now needed to get out on clearance. Still though, I got some really good deals. Scary...I'm starting to think like a real-world shopper...

Saturday night: contra dancing! We talked Ben into it five minutes before we left. Much harder than it looks, but still if you accept that you just might not know what's going on half the time, so much fun.

No comments: