Friday, September 3

fear me

to the tune of: Centerfold by The J. Geils Band

for I now have ultimate power: the power to bestow Internet access. And, presumably, to take it away. Yes, I am now officially an RCC. With a key and everything. I opened the central Rains networking closet today and got this bizarre rush. If I get punchy I suppose I can arbitrarily turn off people's power and cable TV too.

This also gives me my ninth Stanford e-mail address (and my fifth lifelong address). I'm not quite sure what I need nine e-mail addresses for but dammit I have them.

Speaking of Rescomp, victory has been snatched from the jaws of defeat: we no longer have to move to the other side of Rains. It started with an innocent enough conversation with this RCC I didn't recognize. [The button just came off my shirt. Sad. I like all kinds of buttons, even the kind on shirts.] She introduced herself, then informed me I was her RCC. [New Utada (not Hikaru)lyrics: "You're easy breezy, and I'm Japaneezy!" A new low, but this I gotta see...from a former Columbia student no less...] Oh, where was I? Right. This was suspicious because this meant she'd be walking across Rains for her residents, something I proposed months ago and was told was verboten. Yeah, we got that changed. I guess it wasn't that entertaining a story. But the random subplots kinda liven it up a bit I suppose.

[OK, this new Utada video is really weird I gotta say. It's Utada strutting around a California pool and hitting on white guys. And really Engrish lyrics. IM me if you want to see it. All I gotta say is it's going to make a lot of men with Asian fetishes very happy.]

So the upshot of this is now we can finally start decorating the apartment. Suggestions anyone? I'm thinking my Procrastination poster goes right above the Pyramid o' Procrastination.

This week:
  • Learned to west-coast swing, which wasn't as hard as I thought. Still may be a victim of sexual discrimination if I go next week and they insist on charging men 50% more. (Is that legal?)
  • Got sucked into another TV series. Enough people talk wistfully about the last Buffy episode (mostly women, curiously) that I had to see what the fuss was about. Thankfully she's not the blond bimbo from the original movie.
  • Somehow got talked into seeing Vanity Fair. Really its only saving grace is that stuffy British people are sometimes good for a laugh...though usually not at what are supposed to be comic moments in the film.
  • Formulated a Unified Theory of Hustle Club Music. At last, the methods by which the hustle club picks its particular subset of music are revealed:
    • Club two-step music is sappy. (Enrique Iglesias, "Hero")
    • West Coast swing music is skanky. (Justin Timberlake, That Song from The Super Bowl Wardrobe Malfunction)

  • Yes, it's true. This new West Coast swing fascination has led me to download Britney Spears' "Toxic" and Christina Aguilera's "Come on Over". In the interests of dance, of course. I still feel dirty somehow.


Random coolness of the day: AudioScrobbler. You download a plugin for your favorite player and it keeps track of what kind of music you like, then makes amazon-style recommendations based on what other people like you seem to listen to. For some reason it thinks I'd really enjoy listening to such classics as "Happy Birthday" and "Old MacDonald". But some of its predictions are pretty reasonable.

I propose an experiment: All of you join AudioScrobbler and let's see who's my nearest musical "neighbor" (with similar tastes). I've been throwing them off by listening to the 600 or so dance songs I just downloaded, not to mention Ben's and Dave's stashes I liberated.

No comments: