Tuesday, September 7

well, i tried

I made the offer. But it was rejected. My body apparently now refuses to get more than 7 hours of sleep a night. This is both exciting and disturbing at the same time. For in the summer, the perennial season of sloth, I would have no reason not to be sleeping a ton, right? Well...

Friday night was a delightful Friday Night Waltz. It started with my first foray into dance classes as a follow. Role reversal is an uphill battle for guys it seems. Most of the guys I danced with looked at me as if I were going to give them cooties. (Gay cooties, of course, since most dancers had long since gotten over cooties from the opposite sex.) But it still had its moments, like when Joan Walton saw Laura leading and me following and rushed over to correct us and we got to correct her instead. (Disclaimer: Joan's a sweet lady, and we all love her. Kat especially.)

Rose, Kat, and I invented some sort of salsa threesome in a corner that ended up being a cross between samba and limbo. I had a lovely "American" waltz with Kathleen (also known as Corset Lady), singing Joseph's "Close Every Door" to the music. Laura was willing to brave a 205 bpm waltz with me, and Louisa endured a dizzying zweifacher.

As is often tradition after five hours of sweaty, un-air-conditioned dancing, we ran to Safeway to procure ice cream and bring it back to the Zone. We were all prepared to bid each other good night and go to bed at a respectable hour when Kat and Laura announced they were going to go break into the psych building to watch The Princess Bride. Now you can't just let two lovely ladies risk life and limb in the surely haunted psych building to watch a movie when you have a perfectly good 25" TV in the living room--and comfy couches. So Rose fled in disgust, Guy went to bed wondering what sort of crack was in the ice cream, and Ben, Laura, Kat and I watched the movie.

Sunrise from EVSomehow it got to 6 AM. The sun was about to come up. We decided, if we were up, we might as well take advantage of it. So we set out sights on the Blackwelder high-rise in EV. Alas, the door was locked, but sure enough, some crazy grad student would soon come come out to go for an early Saturday morning jog, so we made it in and went up to the twelfth floor...and then the roof. It was definitely breathtaking, the early-morning light falling on the campus while its sane inhabitants remained in peaceful slumber.

Kinda makes me want to go to bed now...

No comments: