Tuesday, September 21

stood up?!

to the tune of: Oboe Concerto in D minor - Adagio by Alessandro Marcello

Exhibit A: An angry e-mail from a resident:
So I am a little crushed right now--I waited around the place for the last hour or so and you never showed--I feel like I was just stood up by my RCC just now.

What a bastard, you're probably thinking. My poor resident was just pacing around waiting for her Internet access and I callously didn't show up. But I did--and I can cite witnesses Candace and Salome, whom I had to abandon and delay visiting, respectively, so I could go look up her phone number and call her (to find it was disconnected), traipse to her building, knock on a door, and find no one home.

Turns out she also listed the wrong apartment in her Rescomp connect request. Perhaps the Rains Renumbering Squad has struck again, but I'm not sure what possessed her to type in the wrong apartment number. I may just have to resign myself to knocking on every door in a building each time I make a housecall. Nope, this was her fault.

But whatever, I ended up dragging Salome and Candace back to the Zone, introducing Salome to Naruto and having Candace proceed to kick royal Halo butt. Hasn't played Halo in a year my foot! Oh, and I scored a forbidden snapshot of Salome, thanks to my stealthy camera phone. Muaahahaaa...

Lots of introductions this weekend: Ben, Guy, Kathy, and Kelsey to the grand game of euchre; Guy to Spoons; Yune to gyoza with beer, and Scrabble. Good times all around. Seeing Jason's lavishly furnished apartment makes me think the Real World may not be so bad after all. How does he sleep at night, working for the Evil Empire, which he doesn't even trust? On quite a comfy bed, I can say.

Courtesy of Kathy: Jon Stewart dukes it out with Bill O'Reilly. Beware of any talk show host who boasts of a "no spin zone"--every host has their own biases. Observe this snippet:
STEWART: Do you really believe France is, in any way, worthy of a boycott?
O'REILLY: I do. I think France has really hurt the USA, to be...
STEWART: Really?
O'REILLY: Yes, I do.
STEWART: More than like Saudi Arabia? You would advocate a boycott...
O'REILLY: No, I'm not going to say more than Saudi Arabia. But I'm saying we do a lot...
STEWART: So why not boycott them?
O'REILLY: France is supposed to be our friend. Saudi Arabia is...
STEWART: Since when? Since the revolution they haven't been our friend.
O'REILLY: [changes the subject]

Really what Bill wanted to do is moan about how John Kerry went on The Daily Show (and later Letterman) but not The O'Reilly Factor. Tricky bastard, thinking more potential Kerry voters would watch Stewart and Letterman than Fox News...

Is it really that uncultured to not like opera? Or to split infinitives? Just for that, I'm going to play an oboe concerto right now...

No comments: