Friday, April 2

so old

I found out one of my high school classmates is already engaged and in med school. A handful of '04 friends have already graduated. I know two people who have (or will have) masters' degrees before they can drink. (Makes me feel like such an underachiever...) And most all my classmates are graduating in two months. So scary.

But not me. Exploiting a convenient loophole, I can qualify for undergrad research funding by remaining an undergrad this summer. So I'll walk at Commencement, if only to broil in a nice black gown and see my friends, uh, get commenced. And maybe to hear Sandra Day O'Connor.

And so time will wash away the class of 2004, sweeping a thousand people who were willing to uproot themselves to come here to the far corners of the earth. But it will leave me behind, stubbornly resisting the tide with my ragtag band of fellow coterms. Heck, now that they've let me in they might never get rid of me. Bwaa ha haaa...

I'll be a supersenior, and then a sketchy grad student. My position is that the day I start paying grad tuition I get to start calling myself a grad student, despite the lack of a bachelor's degree.

In other news, the Google e-mail thing might actually not be an April Fool's joke. Maybe some lady really did "kvetch about spending all her time filing messages".

No comments: