Tuesday, December 16

Ah, vacation...

Sitting inside listening to Christmas carols in Polish that no one understands, watching deer romp in the empty dirt fields that used to be woodlands next door. Seeing the dog throw up on the rug (it's instinctive: never throw up on the linoleum or the wood floor... aim for the harder-to-clean rugs...). Yes, I'm back at my parents' house.

The house is on the market so it mus be kept spotless, even though it only gets shown once a week or so. Of course, no one wants to buy it since the barren trees expose the neighborhood being built next door.

Yesterday I spent more money than I ever had in a Borders at once. It felt good somehow, as if I were somehow supporting the largest and best bookstore in Novi. (And even then, it's only one floor. Kinda sad...) Whenever I go to pay the credit card bill I'll surely feel worse, but still.

Sadly, most all the snow has washed away in the rain. Kathy was so proud to inform me that her corner of Arkansas got down to 27 a few nights ago. But then it proceeded to shoot into the 50s the next day. Here it broke the freezing point for the first time since I'd been back today. Hence the disappearing snow. I really don't mind the snow. If it's going to be cold, there might as well be snow because then it's at least pretty to look at. Now it just looks wet. And it's going to freeze overnight. But it might snow tonight. (The official forecast calls for a "wintry mix", just like in the perennial Christmas classic: "Let it mix! Let it mix! Let it mix!")

No comments: