Monday, December 29

back away from the almanac

I know FBI alerts are meant to be taken seriously, especially in these Orange times. So everyone be on the lookout for people armed with almanacs. Who knows what kind of terror could be unleashed by someone who knows Texas was admitted to the Union in 1845 or that raw onions can cure insomnia...

Saturday night I met up with some high school friends and ended up at a classy Chinese restaurant in Farmington Hills (one of their roommates was working at the bar). From the moment I pulled up and saw the words Szechuan Cuisine in cursive script I knew something was wrong. When I got there at 10:30 there was no one in the restaurant; the party was clearly at the bar. And by "party" I mean a crowd of 30-something metrosexuals standing around chattering as some balding guy was belting out terrible covers of 80s hits. Behind the bar were thousand-dollar bottles of booze. Later a DJ started spinning dance beats, which the crowd tried very hard to ignore as they sipped their martinis. Clearly we had found the middle-aged yuppie hangout.

No comments: