Wednesday, December 24

the official Christmas Eve post

Yes, I'm sitting here at my grandparents' house patiently waiting for my e-mail to chug through their painful dialup connection (and "testing" the reliability of AOL 9). It's been a busy few days.

Sunday I went dancing in Ann Arbor. Funny, but after three years of living on the West Coast I'd never learned the so-called "West Coast swing". Not my favorite, but still interesting.

Monday I reunited with a bunch of high school friends at the real Mongolian Barbeque (not that pathetic thing on Castro). We ended up playing Clue at Coffee Trader till midnight... good times. Of course, when I got home I discovered I had to get my room ready for a showing and wrap some gifts on top of packing. So I ended up sleeping only two hours.

Tuesday morning, ten minutes before the alarm was set to go off at 4 AM I hear Grandpa knocking on the door, fully dressed and ready to go. We set out by 4:30, and finally made it to Connecticut around 5 PM, following the same route we've taken every year for the past 20 years. Of course, that didn't stop Grandpa from advising whoever was driving to pull over and ask for directions every five minutes or so...

So now I'm here. Pepere (French for Grandfather) is out of the hospital and doing well, happily ranting about his doctors and any and all Democrats. Within ten minutes of walking in the door Memere dragged me in front of her computer...

It's weird; I'd always spent Christmas at Grandpa's house. and that's where Santa came every year. So it seemed somehow fitting that I found myself vacuuming it out on Christmas Eve. Barring any pending legal action, that shall be the last time I set foot in his house.

Getting kicked off... Well, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: